Position at Industrial Light & Magic
The Virtual Production Supervisor is responsible for west coast oversight and integration of all physical acquisition and virtual production stage technology within the Lucasfilm Companies.Primary Responsibilities
Education / Experience
- Design an approach plan and/or recommendations for virtual production requests ranging from basic body mocap to complex on-set capture and visualization, working in tandem with the engineering team, show Virtual Production Supervisor, and/or VFX/Anim Supervisors.
- Work closely with Virtual Production Engineering to stay aware of all relevant active development within ILM, Lucasfilm, and Disney. Communicate clearly as a product owner/stakeholder to identify the priorities for the stage team in San Francisco.
- Work with the Virtual Production Producers and/or show Virtual Production Supervisor to generate an accurate estimate of the stage or on-set labor based on a thorough approach plan; advise on casting/sourcing talent to effectively incorporate performance capture into our prospective projects.
- Supervise the onsite stage team in assisting the virtual production needs for both ILM and Lucasfilm.
- Partners with the Virtual Production Engineering teams in planning and execution of technology development projects, ensuring that priorities are in line with show/project needs.
- Supervises demonstrations and preshow/greenlight tests to prove capabilities and potential of performance capture/virtual production.
- Advise directors on character casting and assist directors in crafting a desired performance when needed.
- Oversee Virtual Production Stage crew by providing training, mentoring, and guidance on running shoots and projects independently.
- Plans and manages the local virtual production budget and plans spending for the following fiscal year.
- Evaluate and maintain virtual production needs and standards for potential and ongoing projects, and ensure that documentation of these standards and approach plans are maintained according to ILM Best Practices.
- Train the location crew in ILM Best Practices for on-set virtual production, including body and facial capture as needed, including advising on professional photography equipment & techniques for location use.
- Create and maintain capture vendor & service bureau relationships; stay up to date on the stage capture equipment and software.
- Responsible for the delivery of good captured data that plugs into the ILM CG pipeline; work closely with show leadership to ensure that captured data integrates successfully into the ILM CG pipeline.
- Supervise motion retargeting, editing, and delivery of data shot internally or externally.
- Supervise preparation for all virtual production shoots, including scene assembly and asset preparation.
- Ensure asset and delivery pipelines are properly configured for each virtual production show. Work closely with the Virtual Production Engineering team to improve the pipeline.
- Maintain the stage technology infrastructure, including mocap systems & video acquisition and distribution; plan and supervise stage infrastructure improvement projects.
- Partners with Virtual Production Producers on space, staffing, equipment, and budgetary needs for the following fiscal year.
- Attend trade shows and travel to vendors for tech evaluations, etc.
- Supervise in-house bluescreen element shoots as needed.
- Supervises and directs facial Medusa captures on and offsite.
- Occasional travel to set and/or client meetings.
Required Skills / Competencies
- Bachelor's degree in Film, Engineering, Computer Science, or relevant area
- 10+ years of experience with Motion Capture technology, VFX, and Physical Production.
- On-set client interaction and key creative collaboration.
- Track record of successfully delivering high-quality data in a rapidly changing environment
- Advanced knowledge of on-set digital acquisition hardware.
- Advanced knowledge of all motion capture & facial capture hardware techniques, an on-set pipelines.
- Must be able to execute technically difficult work and maintain a productive attitude under the pressure of live action production.
- Proven track record in leadership and mentorship of virtual production stage crews.
- Knowledge of game engine and game-related technologies.
- Experience in a visual effects asset and shot production pipeline.
- Experience using digital content creating software such a Maya.
- Advanced knowledge of still photography, film, and video production.
- Advanced knowledge of movie lighting and stage rigging skills preferred.
- Experience with video hardware and signals, video engineering experience preferred.
- Must be highly computer literate with Linux. MAC and Windows also preferred.
- Must be an excellent troubleshooter to diagnose and solve issues in complex integrated systems of computers, video recording systems, software, and other sensor-driven systems.
- Ability to develop and debug scripts in Python preferred but not required.
- Strong comprehension of the concepts, practices, and procedures used in visual effects and film production.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and diplomacy skills.
- Must be detail-oriented, highly organized, and able to handle a variety of tasks in an efficient manner.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic. Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.About Industrial Light & Magic:
Founded in 1975 by George Lucas, ILM is the leading effects facility in the world, serving the motion picture, commercial production, and attraction industries. ILM has created visual effects for over 325 feature films and has played a key role in seven of the top 10 worldwide box-office hits of all time and has contributed to 25 of the top 50. ILM has set the standard for visual effects, creating some of the most stunning images in the history of film. At the forefront of the digital revolution, the company continues to break new ground in visual effects, VR, AR, and Immersive Cinema. About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney's stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC , which is part of a business segment we call Industrial Light & Magic .
Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, colour, religion or belief, sex, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marital or civil partner status, disability or pregnancy or maternity. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.